New measures to guide visits – Saskatoon City Hospital
In keeping with those measures and in following the SHA Family Presence Guidelines, we are implementing the following protocols for visitors at Royal University Hospital, St. Paul’s Hospital and Saskatoon City Hospital:
- In accordance with our ability to maintain safe environments and our capacity to coordinate people entering our hospitals, visiting hours will be restricted to 10am to 6pm for inpatients who do not meet the “compassionate reasons” guidelines.
- Visits will be limited to one-hour visits with no more than one person visiting in the room at a time and only as physical distancing requirements can be met in the room.
- Before coming to the hospital, confirm that your name is on the designated visitor list by talking with your loved one on the phone or by calling the unit to verify.
- Designated family member/support people lists are prepared each morning. Patients admitted during the day may need to wait until the following day in order to have a family member/support person attend.
Designated family members and support persons will undergo daily screening at the entrance to the hospital:
- The individual must pass screening, including a temperature check.
- The individual must perform hand hygiene at the screening station.
- The individual must wear a mask at all times during the visit (if tolerated), including in the patient room, and will be required to remain in the patient room as much as possible without visiting other parts of the hospital.
- The individual will be given a “Visitor sticker” for the day to indicate he/she has been screened.
- Any family member or support person who is not required for mobility, comprehension or translation will be asked to leave if physical distancing or proper PPE use cannot be maintained.
Saskatoon City Hospital is located on Queen Street and 7th Avenue in Saskatoon, adjacent to Kinsmen Park.
Saskatoon City Hospital (1909), the first municipal hospital in Western Canada and the second in Canada, was originally located on 6th Avenue North. Soon after plans were made to build a larger hospital on Queen Street. Demand for hospital beds continued to grow and by 1927 the “West Wing” accommodated 122 beds. In 1930, an “East Wing” with 150 beds was constructed. A nurses’ residence was also built adjacent to the hospital.
As the City of Saskatoon grew, so too did the hospital. In 1950 three stories were added to the nurses’ residence, called the “centre block” and in 1958, this became the main hospital with 330 permanent beds, and capacity, though crowded, for 675 beds. The hospital underwent many other renovations and additions in its 75 year plus history.
Eventually however, with changing needs of residents and a need to upgrade the building and equipment, the present Saskatoon City Hospital was built and officially opened on October 16, 1993 with patients moving in on December 13, 1993.