The mission of the Patient and Family Advisory Council is to make positive changes by cultivating respectful empowering partnerships between patients, families, leadership and staff. The council will advocate for changes that enhance the delivery of high quality compassionate patient and family centred care.
At the foundation of patient and family centred care are the overriding guiding principles of respect, participation, information-sharing and collaboration. Patients and families are treated with respect and empowered with clear, comprehensive information. Patients and families are encouraged to participate and collaborate fully in policies, programs, education and delivery of care.
The goals of the Patient and Family Advisory Council are to:
- Promote improved relationships between patients, family and staff.
- Provide input into policy and program development, implementation and evaluation.
- Participate in the development and planning of new facilities and facility renovations.
- Channel information, ideas, needs and concerns of patients and families to hospital administration and staff.
- Review issues referred to the council and provide feedback.
- Help develop or review informational materials for patients or families.
- Participate in education regarding Patient and Family Centered Care throughout the organization.
- Function as a liaison for patients and families serving in a variety of advisory roles.